Britepaths and the Financial Empowerment Center at South County (FECSoCo) are offering many services by phone and internet (eg. Zoom, Google) in the interest of safety during COVID-19. Here is a list of free virtual one-on-one consulting and workshops to help with your personal finances, job search and more, and how to access them. Join our LinkedIn Group to receive regular updates on our offerings.
One-on-One, Confidential Consulting
- Financial Coaching: Speak confidentially with a volunteer financial coach over the phone or Internet. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register. Click Here for Information.
- Workforce/Job Readiness Coaching: Free, confidential consulting to help you refresh your resume, polish your interviewing skills and more via phone or internet. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register. Click Here for Information.
- Small Business Consulting: Schedule a confidential appointment to speak with a professional who will provide guidance with emergency loans, help create a business plan and develop effective strategies. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
- Tax Preparation Consulting: Available by appointment. Preparation of prior year tax returns, amendments, counseling on tax issues. For tax filing assistance, must have access to a computer to complete TurboTax filing. Call 703.704.6101 or email info@FECSoCo.org to schedule.
- NEW: Food Entrepreneur Consulting: Available by appointment, Monday and Wednesday evenings. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register. Flyer: English; español
- Avenues to Career Training (ACT)-Healthcare is a free virtual eight-week pre-employment session that includes job-readiness skills with the enrichment of math, reading and writing that are contextualized for healthcare for Fairfax County residents. Click Here for Information on ACT-Health.
- Next ACT-Healthcare Session: Feb. 7 through Apr. 1, 2022, Mon.-Fri., 10a-12p. Virtual Information Session on Jan. 18 at 10a. Click Here for details.
- Avenues to Career Training-IT In 2022, Britepaths and FECSoCo will offer two tuition-free IT training courses to qualified Northern Virginia residents. The programs will be offered virtually until further notice.
- AWS re/Start: We are collaborating with AWS re/Start to offer a 14-week tuition-free training for the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Certification, with live virtual instruction Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm. 2022 dates are March 14-June 17 and September 12-December 16. Click Here for more information and an interest form.
- Google IT: Enroll in our 12-week Google IT Professional Certification program and earn both the Google IT Professional Certification and CompTIA A+. Meets Monday – Friday, 9am -3pm. 2022 dates are February 14- May 6 and September 19 – December 9. Offered virtually until further notice. Virtual information sessions for spring session Feb. 1, 2 or 3, 10a-11a. Click Here
Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register
- Jan. 18: Avenues to Career Training-Healthcare Information Sessions, 11a with Fairfax County Housing Click Here
- Jan. 18 & 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22: Personal Finance and Career Building Workshops, 6:30-7:30p Click Here
- Jan. 19 & Feb. 2, Food Entrepreneur Workshops, 6-7:30p with NVFS Escala Click Here
- Jan. 19: Free Legal Assistance Wednesdays (Assistencia Legal Gratuita), 6-8p, with Fairfax Law Foundation Click Here (also offered Feb. 16, Mar. 16, Apr. 20)
- Jan. 19: Credit Report Review Clinic, Wednesday, 6:30-7:30p Click Here (also offered Feb. 16, Mar. 16)
- 19 y 26 de enero, 2, 9, 16 y 23 febrero: Finanzas y Crecimiento Profesional, Miércoles de 6:30 a 7:30p haga clic aquí
- Jan. 20: Tax Debt Relief Clinic, Thursday, 1-3p, with Legal Services of Northern Virginia Click Here (also offered Feb. 17, Mar. 17, Apr. 21)
- Jan. 27, Feb. 10 & 24: Small Business Workshops, 6-7:30p Click Here
- Feb. 1, 2 or 3: Google IT & CompTIA A+ Certification Information Sessions, 10-11a Click Here (attend one)
We know these are challenging times. Britepaths offers some limited food and financial assistance to Fairfax County residents by referral only. Contact Fairfax County’s Coordinated Services Planning office at 703.222.0880 for an assessment, and they will refer you to the most appropriate provider. For Virginia residents who live outside of the Fairfax County service area, dial 2-1-1 or visit Virginia CommonHelp. See our Get Help page for more information on Britepaths and FECSoCo's services.
Falling Behind on Your Bills? Read Article for Tips and More Resources
Lost Your Job? Listen to the Way Forward Podcast: Financial Empowerment Center at South County Director Maria Jose Cantoni is featured in the United Way of the National Capital Area's podcast The Way Forward. She discusses: "What Can You Do if You're Laid Off From Your Job in the DMV?" Click Here to listen.
Rent Relief/Eviction Prevention Resources
Click Here for Article with resources and tips for negotiating with your landlord/creditors
Click Here for Fairfax County resources and information
Click Here for Virginia Rent Relief Program Flyer (PDF)
Click Here for guidance about the CDC's National Eviction Moratorium
Click Here for Northern Virginia Affordable Housing Alliance's Eviction Prevention and Housing Stability Toolkit
Access the Advanced Child Tax Credit
Click for Flyers: English; Spanish from Legal Services of Northern Virginia and Low Income Taxpayer Clinics
Click Here for IRS Information on qualifying and receiving the Advanced Child Tax Credit
Click Here for IRS FAQs
Northern Virginia Housing Expo: Britepaths and FECSoCo are offering free Financial Coaching Sessions as part of the 2021 Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo. Click Here to register for Financial Coaching. Click Here to view more Expo resources.