Click Here to Return to Holiday Program Page
Register to Sponsor a Family
Donate to Help Families Who Are Not Sponsored
Frequently Asked Questions
2017 Donation Receipt (PDF) (MS WORD)
Call the Family Immediately!
- Notify the family that you are sponsoring them and verify address and apartment number. People seeking assistance are eager to know if they will receive help, so please let them know as soon as you can!
- Set delivery date and tell family someone must be home to receive items.
- Verify family requests, sizes, dietary restrictions, etc., before you start to purchase items for the family. Remember their suggestions are suggestions only; please use your discretion. Check to see if they would prefer that the gifts be wrapped.
- Inform them that they must contact you if there are any changes to their address and/or phone number prior to delivery date.
- Call a day or two before delivery to remind them.
- You are welcome to send or deliver gift/grocery cards, but please check with the family to ensure they can get to the retailer and notify them about how you plan to get them the gift cards.
- Take a friend with you when you deliver the food and/or gifts.
Problems Contacting or Communicating With the Family?
- Please e-mail Joanne Walton at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Volunteers are available for translation services if you need help communicating with your family. Call us at 703.273.8829 or e-mail Joanne Walton at email@example.com for a list of translators.
General Guidelines for Spending on Meals:
- Singles: $25
- Family of 2-3: $50
- Family of 4-6: $75
- Family of 7 or more: $100
Food Basket Suggestions
(Families Also Welcome Grocery Store Gift Cards or Pre-ordered Holiday Meals)
- A sturdy basket/box such as a plastic crate, laundry basket, storage container, or heavy duty cardboard box
- Turkey, ham, chicken (check first for dietary restrictions!) or a grocery store gift card
- Lettuce, celery, onions, potatoes (white/sweet)
- Apples, oranges, or other hardy fruit
- Rolls or bread and margarine
- Stuffing- box/bag
- Cranberry sauce
- Canned vegetables and fruit
- Aluminum roasting pan and cooking instructions
- Pies, nut breads, crackers, cookies
- Baby food if there are babies in the family
- Any other goodies you think children might enjoy, such as macaroni and cheese
- Apple juice or other fruit juices
Gift Suggestions (for Children 18 and Under)
- For children: an educational item (e.g., a book, puzzle), a fun item, and a warm clothing item.
- For teenagers: a gift or gift certificate to Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or local shopping mall.
- Suggested spending limit: $25-$30 per child.
Questions? Contact Joanne Walton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.273.8829.