Service Project: Create Food4Thought Packs for Local Students
Did you know? In wealthy Fairfax County, 23 percent of Fairfax County Public School children qualify for free or reduced-price meals — nearly one quarter of the school population.
Britepaths’ Food4Thought Program partners with social workers and parent volunteers at select Fairfax County Public Schools, providing support to help them to send home food for the weekend in the backpacks of students who receive food assistance at school during the week and who may potentially go without food over the weekend.
This project requires that you, your family, or the organization you represent provide the food that goes into the packs. Britepaths and the schools that need assistance are not able to provide the food for your group to put in the packs. If your organization does not have the funds to purchase these items, one solution is to ask volunteers who are participating to donate the food items, and plan for the number of packs you can create based on the number of donations you receive from group members. This way, everyone can truly share in the effort to help others, and no one is asked to spend too much money.
Community members can help us assist children in our partner schools in two ways:
- Donate Funds/Food: Click Here to Support our Food4Thought Partner Schools by donating funds that we will pass on to them.
- Create and Donate Packs: Purchase or collect the necessary food and assemble Food4Thought packs for students. If your organization is interested in donating food and assembling Food4Thought packs, here is how to get started.
- Contact the School you would like to donate food packs to, and please cc firstname.lastname@example.org on your email. CLICK HERE for a list of our Partner Schools and Contact Information
- Volunteer and Donation Report: Please plan to track your donation and fill out this form (MS WORD) (PDF). Email the completed form to us at email@example.com so Britepaths can obtain volunteer hours and donation value. Britepaths will respond with documentation to use for tax purposes or your records.
- Volunteer Project Details and Suggestions: CLICK HERE for a PDF that offers information to help you run your service project, including food suggestions.
Questions? If you have questions, contact Brenda Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.273.8829.