Background Information: Would you like to learn about local food systems while helping community members who are struggling have access to fresh local food? Volunteer with Britepaths as our EBT Coordinator! Britepaths is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve as the EBT Coordinator at the Annandale Farmers Market, which is operated by the Fairfax County Park Authority. This unpaid volunteer position in partnership with FRESHFARM will support the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) program at the Market (located at Mason District Park, 6621 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA).
The EBT program allows individuals to utilize their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, formerly known as food stamps, at the Market to purchase eligible items, including fresh fruits and vegetables. The matching dollar program allows SNAP customers to stretch their food budget further to make fresh local produce more affordable.
Position Description: This is an unpaid, part-time position, which requires a minimum of 5 hours of work per week: Thursdays, 7:15 am to 12:30 pm. Volunteer must be 18 or older and able to provide own transportation to the Market. The EBT Coordinator is responsible for providing support for the implementation of the EBT program throughout the Farmers Market season: May 6-November 4, 2021.
- Must learn and commit to adhering to the Fairfax County Farmers Market COVID-19 Guidelines at all times on the Market premises. Includes encouraging adherence to Guidelines by all who visit the EBT table, and keeping up to date with any changes in Guidelines during the season. View Guidelines at: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/farmersmarkets.
- Understand Annandale Farmers Market token exchange process, guidelines, and requirements for implementing the SNAP matching program and accurately communicate information about those programs to volunteers, market vendors, and diverse customers.
- Operate the SNAP EBT terminal and dispense SNAP and match tokens according to established procedures.
- Manage and be responsible for accuracy of paperwork, tracking, and before and after market accounting associated with the token system according to established procedures. Includes regularly reporting data through FM Tracks and sending quarterly financial reports to FRESHFARM.
- Maintain adequate inventory levels for operating the token system, including paper scrip, POS paper rolls, promotional materials, charged batteries, etc.
- Coordinate volunteer team and assist in setting up the information booth tent, table, and signs. All items will be stored on-site at the designated location.
- Provide general customer services, such as answering questions about the SNAP program and helping customers search for specific vendors or products.
- EBT outreach, advertising, and promotion.
- Friendly and outgoing.
- Strong customer service skills and experience.
- Ability to work in an environment requiring flexibility, responsiveness, and multi-tasking.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- An interest/passion in farmers markets, local economic development, and place-making.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
Work Schedule: The EBT program is offered at the Annandale Farmers Market season May 6-November 4, 2021, Thursday, 7:30 am – 12:30 pm. Interested applicants should be willing to commit to a regular schedule of 6 months, with an extension possibility.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should email a brief resume to Chris Garris at firstname.lastname@example.org.