Britepaths' Financial Literacy Program is possible because of the dedication of our volunteers! Volunteer positions include Financial Mentors who work one-on-one with clients for six months or more, Financial Literacy Class Instructors, Financial Planners for our Financial Counseling Clinic and professionals such as lawyers who offer pro-bono advice and counsel as needed.
Britepaths provides training, support and all the tools volunteers need to help individuals and families in the Fairfax County area better manage their finances and achieve and maintain self-sufficiency.
Our Current Volunteer Needs Include:
- Financial Mentors and Budget Class Instructors: Bilingual Volunteers Greatly Needed (Spanish-English)
- Financial Coaches in Alexandria
- Financial Planners who are able to volunteer at our Financial Counseling Clinics in Alexandria
- Probono Immigration Attorneys.
If you are interested in becoming a Financial Literacy volunteer, you must register to attend one of the following information sessions. To register, please contact Carole Rogers at email@example.com or 703.273.8829, ext. 331.
Financial Literacy Volunteer Information Sessions
Attend an Information Session to find out more about becoming a volunteer Financial Literacy Mentor or Money Smart Class Instructor. A Session will only be held if five or more potential volunteers have committed to attending, so please be sure to register if you are interested in attending. An alternative is to arrange for a workplace lunchtime training for 10 or more interested colleagues, and the Financial Literacy Program Manager will come to your organization at a mutually agreeable date. This session is to determine if volunteering as an Instructor or Mentor is a good fit for you.
Our next Volunteer Information Sessions will be held on:
- Wednesday, August 22, 6:30-8 pm
- Wednesday, November 7, 6:30-8 pm
New Mentor Training
After attending an Information Session, prospective Mentors must also attend a New Mentor Training. Trainings will typically be held three times a year. Additionally, there is the opportunity to meet one-on-one with an experienced mentor if desired.
Our next New Mentor Training Sessions will be held on:
- Wednesday, September 12, 6:30-8 pm
- Wednesday, November 28, 6:30-8 pm
Finally, prospective mentors must also attend a Mentor Roundtable, but they are for both new and experienced mentors to share best practices, challenges and advice. Often, a guest will provide a presentation on a topic pertinent to the challenges many of our clients face. Roundtables are usually held quarterly.
The next Mentor Roundtables will be held on:
- Thursday, October 4, 6:30-8 pm
- Wednesday, December 5, 6:30-8 pm
Location for Classes/Roundtables
4080 Chain Bridge Road2nd Floor Fairfax VA 22030
Our building is on Page Ave. in the Fairfax County Courthouse Complex. You may park in the outdoor lot across Page Ave. from the building. See our Directions page for more information.
RSVP to Carole Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-273-8829, ext. 331 if you have questions or would like to attend an upcoming session.
Financial Literacy Volunteer Forms:
- Volunteer Application: Mentor/Instructor Application Form (MS WORD) (PDF)
- Virginia Background Check: SP167 VA State Pol backgd check (PDF) (Print Page 1 only, fill out name and address at top. ODB will mail in the form and pay for processing)
- Disclosure Statement: (MS WORD)
- Pledge of Confidentiality: (MS WORD)
- Mentor Questionnaire (for prospective Mentors only): (MS WORD)