Britepaths and the Financial Empowerment Center at South County (FECSoCo) are offering many services by phone and internet (eg. Zoom, Google) in the interest of safety during COVID-19. Here is a list of free virtual one-on-one consulting and workshops to help with your personal finances, job search and more, and how to access them:
One-on-One, Confidential Consulting
Workforce/Job Readiness Consulting: Free, confidential consulting to help you refresh your resume, polish your interviewing skills and more via phone or internet. Contact Sally Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Here for Information.
Small Business Consulting: Schedule a confidential appointment to speak with a professional who will provide guidance with emergency loans, help create a business plan and develop effective strategies. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
Tax Preparation Consulting: Available by appointment on Tuesdays. Preparation of prior year tax returns, amendments, counseling on tax issues. For tax filing assistance, must have access to a computer to complete TurboTax filing. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
Avenues to Career Training 8-Week Healthcare Readiness Training
Avenues to Career Training (ACT) is an eight-week training session that includes job-readiness skills with the enrichment of math, reading and writing that are contextualized for healthcare for Fairfax County residents. Our Fall 2020 cohort is underway. Contact Sally Meyer at email@example.com to be notified about 2021 sessions. Click Here for Information on ACT.
Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register
- Oct. 22, & Nov 5: Small Business Workshop Series. 6-7:30p, 10/22: The Business Guide, 11/5: Marketing for Small Business. Click Here for more info. With ECDC African Community Center Metro DC.
- Oct. 27, Nov. 10 & 24, Dec. 8 & 22: Personal Finance & Career Building Workshop Series. 6:30-7:30p, Click Here for details. With AHC Inc.
- Oct. 27-Nov. 24: Computer Course for Beginners, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5-7p. Covers Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Must commit to attend all sessions. Click Here for information.
- Nov. 3 & 17, Dec. 1 & 15: Talleres virtuales gratuitos Finanzas y Crecimiento Profesional 6:30-7:30p Click Here
- Nov. 18 & Dec. 16: Free Legal Assistance Wednesdays, 6-8p, Space is Limited! Must register at 703-704-6101. With Fairfax Law Foundation. Click Here for more information.
- Nov. 19 & Dec. 17: Tax Debt Relief Clinic, 1-3p
Lost Your Job? Listen to the Way Forward Podcast: Financial Empowerment Center at South County Director Maria Jose Cantoni is featured in the United Way of the National Capital Area's podcast The Way Forward. She discusses: "What Can You Do if You're Laid Off From Your Job in the DMV?" Click Here to listen.
Worried About Paying Rent/Eviction? Read Article on first steps you can take to advocate for yourself. Click Here for Fairfax County resources and information. Click Here for guidance about the CDC's National Eviction Moratorium.
Northern Virginia Housing Expo: Britepaths and FECSoCo provided free Financial Counseling at the Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo in June. Expo resources are still available. Click Here to learn more.
We know these are challenging times. Britepaths offers some limited food and financial assistance to Fairfax County residents by referral only. Contact Fairfax County’s Coordinated Services Planning office at 703.222.0880 for an assessment, and they will refer you to the most appropriate provider. For Virginia residents who live outside of the Fairfax County service area, dial 2-1-1 or visit the Virginia 211 web site. See our Get Help page for more information on Britepaths and FECSoCo's services.