Britepaths and the Financial Empowerment Center at South County (FECSoCo) are offering many services by phone and internet (eg. Zoom, Google) in the interest of safety during COVID-19. Here is a list of free virtual one-on-one consulting and workshops to help with your personal finances, job search and more, and how to access them:
One-on-One, Confidential Consulting
Workforce/Job Readiness Consulting: Free, confidential consulting to help you refresh your resume, polish your interviewing skills and more via phone or internet. Contact Sally Meyer at email@example.com. Click Here for Information.
Small Business Consulting: Schedule a confidential appointment to speak with a professional who will provide guidance with emergency loans, help create a business plan and develop effective strategies. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
Tax Preparation Consulting: Available by appointment on Tuesdays. Preparation of prior year tax returns, amendments, counseling on tax issues. For tax filing assistance, must have access to a computer to complete TurboTax filing. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
Avenues to Career Training 8-Week Healthcare Readiness Training
Avenues to Career Training (ACT) is an eight-week training session that includes job-readiness skills with the enrichment of math, reading and writing that are contextualized for healthcare for Fairfax County residents. Click Here for Information on ACT.
First ACT 2021 Virtual Cohort Feb. 1-Mar. 26: Information Sessions in January 2021
Information sessions via Zoom on Jan. 5, 7, 12, 14, 19 or 21, 2021, at 1 pm. Click Here to Register, or email info@FECSoCo.org, or call 703.704.6101. Click Here for Flyer
Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register
- Jan. 12, 14, 19 or 21, 2021: Avenues to Career Training Information Sessions: 1 pm. Click Here to Register, or email info@FECSoCo.org, or call 703.704.6101. Click Here for Flyer
- Jan. 12: How to Perform a Strategic Job Search, 6:30-7:30p. Click Here to Register, or email info@FECSoCo.org, or call 703.704.6101. Click Here for Flyer
- Jan. 7 & 21, Feb. 4: Food Entrepreneur, Thursdays, 6p-7:30p, with La Cocina VA & NVFS Click Here
- Jan. 7: Is Bankruptcy Right for You?, 1p-3p
- Enero 14 & 28: Emprendedor Culinario, jueves de 6p a 7:30p, con La Cocina VA & NVFS haga clic aquí
- Jan 20: Free Legal Assistance Wednesdays, 6-8p, Space is Limited! Must register at 703-704-6101. With Fairfax Law Foundation. Click Here for more information. Also offered: 2/17, 3/17, 4/21, 5/19 and 6/16.
- Jan. 21: Tax Debt Relief Clinic, 1-3p with Legal Services of Northern Virginia. Also offered: 2/18, 3/18, 4/22, 5/20 and 6/17.
- Jan. 26: You and Your Student Loan, 6p-7:30p, With Legal Services of Northern Virginia. Click Here for details.
- Enero 26 & 28, Febrero 2 & 4: Programa de Nutrición para la Familia, 1-2p (1-2:30p Enero 26), con Virginia Cooperative Extension haga clic aquí
- Jan. 26 & 28, Feb. 2 & 4: Healthy Eating Workshop, 3-4p (3-4:30p on Jan. 26), with Virginia Cooperative Extension Click Here
- Feb. 11 & 25, Mar. 11 & 25: Small Business Workshops, 6-7:30p, with Enterprise Development Group Click Here
Lost Your Job? Listen to the Way Forward Podcast: Financial Empowerment Center at South County Director Maria Jose Cantoni is featured in the United Way of the National Capital Area's podcast The Way Forward. She discusses: "What Can You Do if You're Laid Off From Your Job in the DMV?" Click Here to listen.
Worried About Paying Rent/Eviction?
Read Article on first steps you can take to advocate for yourself.
Click Here for Fairfax County resources and information.
Click Here for guidance about the CDC's National Eviction Moratorium.
Click Here for Northern Virginia Affordable Housing Alliance's Eviction Prevention and Housing Stability Toolkit
Northern Virginia Housing Expo: Britepaths and FECSoCo are offering free Financial Counseling Sessions as part of the 2021 Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo. Click Here to register for Financial Counseling. Click Here to view more Expo resources.
We know these are challenging times. Britepaths offers some limited food and financial assistance to Fairfax County residents by referral only. Contact Fairfax County’s Coordinated Services Planning office at 703.222.0880 for an assessment, and they will refer you to the most appropriate provider. For Virginia residents who live outside of the Fairfax County service area, dial 2-1-1 or visit the Virginia 211 web site. See our Get Help page for more information on Britepaths and FECSoCo's services.