Britepaths and the Financial Empowerment Center at South County (FECSoCo) are offering many services by phone and internet (eg. Zoom, Google) while are practicing social distancing. Here is a list of free virtual one-on-one consulting and workshops to help with your personal finances, job search and more, and how to access them:
One-on-One, Confidential Consulting
Workforce/Job Readiness Consulting: Free, confidential consulting to help you refresh your resume, polish your interviewing skills and more via phone or internet. If you live in Alexandria, Burke, Lorton or Springfield, contact Sally Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org; for all other areas of Fairfax County contact Jill Beres at email@example.com. Click Here for Information.
Small Business Consulting: Schedule a confidential appointment to speak with a professional who will provide guidance with emergency loans, help create a business plan and develop effective strategies. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
Tax Preparation Consulting: Available by appointment on Tuesdays. Preparation of prior year tax returns, amendments, counseling on tax issues. For tax filing assistance, must have access to a computer to complete TurboTax filing. Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register.
Avenues to Career Training 8-Week Healthcare Readiness Training
Avenues to Career Training (ACT) is an eight-week training session that includes job-readiness skills with the enrichment of math, reading and writing that are contextualized for healthcare for Fairfax County residents. Contact Sally Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Click Here for Information on ACT. Just Announced: Fall 2020 Virtual Cohort: Sept. 9-Nov. 6, beginning at 1p. Information Sessions: Aug. 4, 5, 11, 12, 18 or 19, 1-2p via Zoom. View Flyer
Call 703.704.6101, email info@FECSoCo.org, or Click Here to register
- Thru Aug. 10, Middle & High School Financial Literacy Series, Mon, Wed, Fri, 11-11:45a. Register at info@FECSoCo.org. Click Here for details.
- 30 de julio: Préstamos Depredadores, 6-7p, Para registrarse, llame al 703.704.6101 o envíe un correo a info@FECSoCo.org.
- Aug. 4, 5, 11, 12, 18 or 19 (choose 1): Avenues to Career Training Information Sessions, 1-2p Click Here for details.
- Aug. 6: How to Start Your New Business-Marketing, 6-7p, with Enterprise Development Group
- Aug. 13: Coping Financially During COVID-19, 6-7p
- Aug. 18-Sept. 29 (Tuesdays): Personal Finance and Career Building Workshops, 6:30-7:30p, Click Here for details.
- Aug. 19: Free Legal Assistance Wednesdays, 6-8p, with Legal Services of Northern Virginia. Space is limited. Call 703.704.6101 to register. Also offered Sept. 16
- Aug. 20: Tax Debt Relief Clinic, 1-3p, also offered Sept. 17 and Oct. 15
- 27 de agosto: Banca móvil y en línea, 6-7p
Lost Your Job? Listen to the Way Forward Podcast: Financial Empowerment Center at South County Director Maria Jose Cantoni is featured in the United Way of the National Capital Area's podcast The Way Forward. She discusses: "What Can You Do if You're Laid Off From Your Job in the DMV?" Click Here to listen.
Fairfax County Information on Preventing Eviction: Click Here for resources and information.
Northern Virginia Housing Expo: Britepaths and FECSoCo provided free Financial Counseling at the Virtual Northern Virginia Housing Expo in June. Expo resources are still available. Click Here to learn more.
We know these are challenging times. Britepaths offers some limited food and financial assistance to Fairfax County residents by referral only. Contact Fairfax County’s Coordinated Services Planning office at 703.222.0880 for an assessment, and they will refer you to the most appropriate provider. For Virginia residents who live outside of the Fairfax County service area, dial 2-1-1 or visit the Virginia 211 web site. See our Get Help page for more information on Britepaths and FECSoCo's services.