Volunteer SNAP/EBT Coordinators for Annandale and Wakefield Farmers Markets
Volunteer SNAP/EBT Coordinators for the Annandale Farmers Market and/or Wakefield Farmers Market
Background Information: Britepaths is seeking community members to volunteer as SNAP/EBT Coordinators at the Annandale Farmers Market and/or the Wakefield Farmers Market during the 2023 market season. They are two of the Fairfax County Farmers Markets operated by the Fairfax County Park Authority. This unpaid volunteer position in partnership with Fairfax County and FRESHFARM will support the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) program at the Markets.
The EBT program allows community members who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits to utilize their benefits at the Markets so they may purchase eligible items, including fresh fruits and vegetables. The matching dollar program allows SNAP customers to stretch their food budget further to make fresh local produce more affordable.
- Click Here to learn more about SNAP matching at the Fairfax County Farmers Markets
- Click Here to learn more about Britepaths’ Farmers Market Initiatives
Position Description: The EBT Coordinator helps qualified community members access EBT vouchers throughout the Farmers Market season.
This is an unpaid, part-time position, which requires a minimum of 5 hours of work every other week at one of the Markets that Britepaths is supporting. Our greatest current need is for more volunteers to staff the Wakefield Market, but we also welcome more volunteers for the Annandale Market. Volunteers must be 18 or older and able to provide their own transportation to the Market. More details on volunteer responsibilities and requirements below.
Interested applicants should be willing to commit to a regular schedule of 6 months, with an extension possibility. Volunteers are welcome to volunteer more often or at both of the Markets if they choose and there are openings available.
- The Wakefield Farmers Market at Audrey Moore Recreation Center operates on Wednesday afternoons through October 25, 2023. Volunteers will assist from 1:15 pm to 6:30 pm at this Market.
- The Annandale Farmers Market at Mason District Park operates on Thursday mornings through November 2, 2023. Volunteers will assist from 7:15 am to 12:30 pm at this Market.
How to Apply: Contact Brenda Hernandez at email@example.com or 703.273.8829.
Please Fill Out Our Volunteer Application in advance!
- Must learn and commit to adhering to the Fairfax County Farmers Market COVID-19 Guidelines at all times on the Market premises. Includes encouraging adherence to Guidelines by all who visit the EBT table, and keeping up to date with any changes in Guidelines during the season. View Guidelines at: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/farmersmarkets.
- Understand Annandale Farmers Market token exchange process, guidelines, and requirements for implementing the SNAP matching program and accurately communicate information about those programs to volunteers, market vendors, and diverse customers.
- Operate the SNAP EBT terminal and dispense SNAP and match tokens according to established procedures.
- Manage paperwork, reporting and maintaining inventory of necessary supplies.
- Assist in setting up the information booth tent, table, and signs. All items will be stored on-site at the designated location.
- Provide general customer services, such as answering questions about the SNAP program and helping customers search for specific vendors or products.
- Friendly and outgoing.
- Strong customer service skills and experience.
- Ability to work in an environment requiring flexibility, responsiveness, and multi-tasking.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
- An interest/passion in farmers markets, local economic development, and place-making.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.